Thursday, August 2, 2012

Life with my zofran pump

13 weeks and 3 days today... and I felt the need to start blogging my amazing journey....


Aahhhh....Life on a Zofran pump...What Can I Say?

Well First let me explain the reason why I am on the pump, I was diagnosed with a condition in pregnancy called hyperemesis...I'll give you guys the lowdown on what hyperemesis really is:

"Nausea and vomiting are common in pregnancy, occurring in 70-85% of all gravid women. Hyperemesis gravidarum is a severe and intractable form of nausea and vomiting in pregnancy. It is a diagnosis of exclusion and may result in weight loss; nutritional deficiencies; and abnormalities in fluids, electrolyte levels, and acid-base balance. The peak incidence is at 8-12 weeks of pregnancy, and symptoms usually resolve by week 20 in all but 10% of patients. Uncomplicated nausea and vomiting of pregnancy is generally associated with a lower rate of miscarriage, but hyperemesis gravidarum may affect the health and well-being of both the pregnant woman and the fetus. "

Compliments of Medscape.com

So in all honesty its a not so fun thing to be diagnosed with when you are pregnant... I spent weeks upon end either throwing up, nauseous, laying on the bathroom floor, or in the hospital for IV's..When i got to the point where I had lost 13 pounds, and honestly thought i wouldnt survive another day.. The doctor prescribed me the Zofran pump, since no oral medications would work. I tried oral phenergan, zofran, and reglan..nothing came close to working!


So here is an idea of what i get to do everyday...


My pump controls the medicine. I receive a constant drip of Zofran (a strong anti-nausea medicine often given to chemo patients, which is also effective in battling Hyperemesis.) The Zofran pump goes with me everywhere.
Zofran Pump

The pump is attached to my stomach through a tiny catheter. I have to change the infusion site every day. It really freaks me out to put the needle in so i make Dennis do it every night.. No matter how many times Ive have it done, it still doesnt get any easier :/ It gets super duper sore, and the longer you leave it in your stomach, the worse it gets.. Zofran is very hard on your skin, and it leaves round red hard lumps on my belly.. The medicine pools up under my skin, and just makes it very sore and irritated, it hurts for anyone to even touch my belly :(





Since I’m constantly using medicine and supplies, I get weekly visits from the FedEx delivery man. They send the medicine with ice packs so it stays cool, and send me any other supplies, i need, such a batteries, alcohol wipes, and the site injection kits...







Each day the want me to check my weight, and check my urine to see if im dehydrated. They call me everyday to check to see how im doing, and find out the results. If i get super sick and need an extra dose I also need to call them to make sure that its ok, since you can only take so many in a 24 hour period.



This is what the whole kit look like, and it also comes with a super stylish purse that you get to carry it around in..lol



Here are a few pictures, of what my stomach look like from the aftermath of the medicine.. (Dont mind the stretch marks, Ive had a million kids) ;)




On the flip side from all of this, I do get to have a super sweet snuggly baby in the end that I cant wait to hold. And totally look forward to the day when I meet him or her... So as inconvenient as this all is.. at least there is a great reward at the end!

This is what a baby looks like at 13 weeks!


1 comment:

  1. I am 29 years old and have been diagnosed with breast cancer, ease of treatment and a similar story, except for my first acceptance as a rejection of herbal medicine. I was not part of the Perseid movement and did not really build relationships with any of them, I just believed in their operation. I say this because it was during the use of Dr. Itua herbal medicine that I now attest that herbal medicine is real, the phytotherapy Dr. Itua heal my breast cancer which I suffered for 2 years. Dr. Itua herbal medicine is made of natural herbs, with no side effects, and easy to drink. If you have the same breast cancer or any type of human illness, including HIV / AIDS, herpes cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancratics cancers, bladder cancer, bladder cancer, prostate cancer, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Autism,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis ,Tach Diseases,
    Dementia.kidney cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, skin cancer and skin cancer.testicular Cancer, , LEUKEMIA, VIRUSES, HEPATITIS, INFERTILITY WOMEN / MAN, LOT OF LOVE, LOTTERY. ITS CONTACT EMAIL / WHATSAPP: info@drituaherbalcenter.com Or drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ +2348149277967
    Here is my contact phone number. +1-913-9518-145 if you would need some advise from me.

    ReplyDelete